WordPress is the software for this blogging platform. They released their latest version 9 days ago, and I naturally waited for the more experienced bloggers to do the upgrade before I ventured into the craziness. I figured let someone else be the guinea pigs. Well, there were enough posts about it for me to get a feel for what to look out for, so I’m giving it a shot.
First I saved off my private content, which turned out to be super easy, with the database backup plug-in that I have. Then I de-activated all of my plug-ins. Then I downloaded the new upgraded onto the server, and overwrote my wordpress installation with the new files. I was supposed to delete everything first, but that seemed a tad risky…I don’t like deleting if I don’t have to.
Next, I ran the upgrade script which took less than a second. In fact it was so fast, I thought for sure something didn’t work. From there, I went back to the plug-ins page and sure enough, I could see one new feature work right away, the plug-ins upgrade alerter. I got busy downloading all of the upgraded plug-ins, and activating everything that was active before.
As a test I wrote a test post, which immediately failed with this error:
WordPress database error: [Table ‘wordpress.wpsteve_categories’ doesn’t exist]
SELECT c.cat_ID AS ID, MAX(p.post_modified) AS last_mod FROM `wpsteve_categories` c, `wpsteve_post2cat` pc, `wpsteve_posts` p WHERE pc.category_id = c.cat_ID AND p.ID = pc.post_id AND p.post_status = 'publish' AND p.post_type='post' GROUP BY c.cat_id
Ugh. That’s not what I was hoping for. I went to the Wordpress’ release notes, which stated that the categories table was removed. This meant the offensive code above surely must have been a plug-in that hadn’t upgraded. I decided to turn off my 2 sitemap plug-ins, because neither had an available upgrade, and sure enough, I can now save without error. Now I just need to get a new auto-sitemap generator.
Otherwise, it all looks good. As a result of the upgrade, I’m finally going to get around to implementing tags, since that was the #1 new feature of WordPress 2.3, while before you needed a plug-in to get tag support.
Update: The Google Sitemap-XML Plug-in that was giving me grief was updated by the author today. I’ve downloaded the new version of the plug-in and it seems to be working as exptected. Nice work. I think this basically gets me back to even, and only in about an hour. Not bad, really.